NEXT COURSE BEGINNING OCTOBER 2017
The Foundation in Counselling Skills Course offers participants the opportunity to pursue their interest in counselling. It may appeal to those who need counselling skills in their work. In addition, it prepares people for entry into professional Diploma courses. The Foundation Course itself, however, is not a professional qualification. The Cork course is currently held in Mardyke House (shown).
Why train with us?
Cork Counselling Centre Training Institute is a professional place, with a supportive and creative atmosphere. Our training courses provide a unique and exciting way to find out who you are, learn effective skills and become a competent counsellor.
We provide a supportive and exciting training environment which offers
- Over 30 years of experience in training and counselling practice
- The possibility to train for a new career while maintaining your current employment
- The option to bring your Certificate to Diploma and your Diploma to Degree level
- An experiential and applied approach so that learning is lived and practiced rather than staying solely academic
- A link to an established counselling practice so that current clinical issues remain to the fore in training
- The opportunity to experience work in a busy community counselling centre
- Highly qualified trainers both from Ireland and abroad, all of whom are practising counsellors working within recognised codes of ethics and professional practice
- A unique opportunity to reclaim joy, wonder, and creativity in your life with space and attention given to fun and celebration
- Deliberately small group sizes allowing for individual attention, group cohesion and the potential for building friendships
How to apply:
- The minimum age to apply for the course is 23 years
- Applicants are invited to submit a completed Application form along with:
- A comprehensive Curriculum Vitae
- A passport sized photograph
- Non-refundable application fee of €50
Based on this application, individuals will be invited to attend individual a group interview.
Successful applicants will be offered a place on the course. Responsibility for final selection rests solely with the Training Team.
The course is organised on a part-time basis. The group meets over eight workshops at Cork Counselling Centre Training Institute, running on Friday evening and all day Saturday, plus one residential weekend.
We usually offer two courses each year. The first of these begins in Autumn; the second begins in Spring.
Students are required to be open to ongoing personal development which occurs in a group, personal therapy sessions, keeping a personal journey, assignments based on core components of the course and self and peer assessments.
There are four essential components to the course content:
- Personal awareness and development
- Knowledge of theories of counselling
- Skills training, including the opportunity to participate in a professional supervision session
- Multi-cultural awareness
Cork Counselling Centre Training Institute provides this training in a group setting which encourages exploration and learning.
Fees, Assessment & Award
The tuition fee is €1,450. Please note that the fee for the year covers course tuition only. The student is responsible for any additional expenses, food, travel, books, accommodation, personal therapy sessions etc.
Assessment is continuous and based on a series of submitted assignments, attendance, and feedback on personal development from self, peers and trainers.
Students who successfully complete the course will be awarded a Foundation Certificate.